The Federal Government says it has so far spent N15.8 billion on hazard allowances in its teaching hospitals and medical centres across the country.
This was according to a statement by the minister of labour and employment, Chris Ngige in Abuja on Monday while addressing journalists at a meeting with the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) leadership.
The meeting was held to assess the level of implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) entered by both parties and to prevent strike threat by health workers.
Ngige further said that the June allowances were still outstanding because the budget has been affected by developments not originally captured, such as pay for house officers, interns, NYSC doctors and volunteers adding that the government was already working out ways to sort things.
“The Federal Government has so far spent N15.8 billion naira for hazard allowances in its teaching hospitals, medical centres and some other non- COVID-19 facilities where doctors have also been treating virus cases,” he said.
“We noticed that the subhead captured in the service-wide vote would need some amendment by the Budget Office in liaison with the National Assembly to handle the problem, so that implementation can start as soon as possible.